Monday, February 14, 2011

Pizza Pasta...

Basic recipe:
 - pasta (I used spaghetti, but I'm sure anything would do)
 - your choice red pasta sauce
 - pepperoni
 - pineapple (excellent on a pizza)
 - mozzarella (and a lot of it)
Boil water, and add spaghetti. After draining the cooked pasta, pour it in a separate oven safe container. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Sprinkle mozzarella on top, and add a couple of pieces of pepperoni. Bake at 375 degrees for about 5-10 minutes.

I hate the grocery store. I feel like everyone judges me - they know I shouldn't be in there. Unfortunately I wasn't entirely prepared for this little experiment (I wasn't even sure if we had salt in my house...), so I had to venture out into the world of expensive milk and produce. Disturbing. If you find yourself in my situation, know that you're not alone. I wandered the aisles for a good half hour just trying to find pepperoni. I don't really have much to compare that to, but I'm guessing it's not good.

I decided to start small. Pasta was a safe choice, as that is one of the things I can maybe feel ok about. But I figured I needed SOMETHING else - plus, I wasn't feeling plain spaghetti. Brilliance struck in aisle 5. Pizza pasta. My cousin mentioned pizza, but please. There was no way - that includes chopping and browning meat and straightening dough and other things that I can't even think of. I do love pizza, though. Pepperoni is a staple snack food in my house (which makes it that much more disturbing that I spent that much time searching for it).

It turns out I have the curse of my mom. What probably would have taken a normal person with any kind of ability about 25 minutes tops, took me a good hour. I would like to point out that salt does not help water boil faster, and if it does boiling water is ridiculous. Just thought that needed to be said. The problem was I didn't judge the amount of pasta I originally cooked correctly. When I finally poured it into the dish, it didn't even cover the bottom of it, resulting in more boiling (I ended up having WAY too much, but oh well). After that, it was pretty smooth sailing. I was finally able to sit down with my pizza pasta at 9pm. At least that's an hour earlier than my mom could have done it.

Rate: 4
  - Next time I will probably use a different kind of spaghetti sauce, and maybe let it cook longer...


1 comment:

  1. Hi there! Just wanted to say I love this idea for a blog! I love to cook, but like you, often don't have the time or the patience.

    Food blogs are a great resource for recipes, and Kalyn's Kitchen is one of my favorites...you might be interested in her collection of 5 ingredients or less recipes: http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2005/04/easy-south-beach-recipes-5-main.html. Everything she makes is great!

    Anyways, good luck! Your pizza pasta looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete