Monday, March 28, 2011

Balsamic and Mozzarella Chicken...

Basic recipe:
-Chicken breast
-Mozzarella wrapped prosciutto (once again purchased at Publix)
-Balsamic vinaigrette
-French loaf of bread (the kind you're supposed to have sword fights with in front of the Eiffel Tower) 
-Italian dressing
Heat oven to 375. Slice the bread and mozzarella and lay the mozzarella on top of the bread. Lay the chicken breast out on tin foil and marinate in balsamic and the Italian dressing. Lay some of the prosciutto mozzarella on top. Stick both in oven; cook the chicken for about 25-30 minutes, the bread about 10. Once prepared, add a bit of extra balsamic for the best taste of true Italy.

So this one was TOTALLY made up by me. I think. With a little help from Pitter for the bread idea. I was driving home from work and decided that instead of fast food or pizza, I was going to find something to cook. That's how I wandered on the specialty cheese section of Publix (my favorite section). I saw the prosciutto mozzarella and inspiration hit! I LOVE ITALY! Florence especially, and prosciutto and balsamic are my own bits of Florence in Georgia. Perfection. The rest was just brainstorming tastes. Don't trust those however, because I've been known to mix everything on my plate together because I think fried okra and pork really makes mashed potatoes special. But I like to think this worked. And it was pretty easy considering the gloriousness that resulted (did y'all know that they make individually wrapped frozen chicken breasts? Fantastic). Now disclaimer: the creamed spinach came out of the frozen foods section. But I heated it up. That's cooking. Add another point for me.

The only true problem was the chicken. I'm not that great at chicken. Let's be honest: it freaks me out. You hear so much about that salmonella poisoning and I am convinced that one of these days that could happen to me. I don't know much about it, but Monica warned Emily about it in London so I'm guessing that's bad. Poisoning of any kind is bad, and while I wouldn't necessarily mind a few legitimate days off sick, no thank you. So when I took it out after 20 minutes (the time on the package) the chicken was literally still gooey and translucent on the inside. I don't know a lot, but I know that's not done. So I just stuck it in for another 15 minutes or so. Now I know Gordon Ramsay would have been appalled at my dry chicken, but I didn't care. I'm not getting salmonella from chicken. And it turned out really good anyway so Ramsay can suck it.

Rate: 7 (definitely a good one to impress people by your fanciness and the balsamic was to die for!)


No comments:

Post a Comment